Monday, August 6, 2012

A Message from Father Washabaugh

It would be a whole lot easier to begin as the new Catholic chaplain at Connecticut College if my predecessor had been inarticulate, anti-social, uninterested in the condition of peoples’ souls, and got drunk every other night. Alas! The opposite is the case. Fr. Larry LaPointe has served here for 33 years with wit, intelligence, deep faith and wonderful effectiveness. Now, me!  As Hamlet said, “Hyperion to a satyr”.

Of course, it is grace that saves us. Fortunately, there is a power at work that can use the efforts of the most unlikely individuals, and as a college chaplain, I’m pretty unlikely.
I’ve been a parish priest in eastern Connecticut for 32 years. For the past 25 years, I’ve been involved in ministry to the growing Spanish-speaking population of our region. St. Mary Star of the Sea Church, just down the street in New London, has about 1,000 households, half of which are Spanish-speaking.
I’ve been pastor there for the past 11 years, and I must say, I enjoy it. I particularly love the way a culture not my own pulls me out of my artificially small world. Maybe serving today’s Connecticut College community will do the same thing for me.
Robert Kennedy, S.J., quoted a Japanese educator who said that the purpose of education is to take a young person and pour steel into his/her spine. (Zen Spirit, Christian Spirit, p. 55-56). Although I’m no Buddhist, I like that notion.
Catholic learning doesn’t take place primarily in the head, but lower down. It is learning to live in a certain way and to walk a certain path toward fullness in a world both beautiful and filled with illusion.  I’m very happy to be on that journey with all of you in the Catholic Community at Connecticut College this year.
Fr. Bob Washabaugh