Saturday, August 16, 2008

How is faith like water?

Thirsting. Quenching. Washing. Cleansing. Swept away. Drowning?!

This blog is a place to reflect about faith. I imagine we’ll most often be inspired by everyday life. Pay attention to what happens through the day, St. Ignatius would say, and you’ll see God everywhere – in all that makes you more alive, more caring, more loving.

Why water? Well, its presence here is pervasive: the Thames River, the Arbo Pond, the lush campus with flowering shrubs and towering trees that rely on water for life. Faith gives life too. By faith I don’t mean certainty. I mean a desire to believe. To believe what? That’s up to you.

In the week ahead I intend to pay more attention to what happens through each day, to experience the tides and eddies. Here’s hoping I don’t drown :-). Norman Maclean writes in A River Runs Through It:

“Eventually all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river ... runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”